Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Yelp! Location based programs are taking over!

Is anyone concerned with this generations sense of direction? I know I am. With new location based programs such as yelp, facebook, google maps, foursquare and gowalla--soon no one will be able to find their way around without their smart phone or computer. For the purpose of this discussion, I want to focus on the smart phone app--Yelp.

Yelp was actually founded in 2004, but available through your mobile phone in 2010 when the ratings of monthly visitors exceeded 54 million. Yelp, is an app that take where your current location is (using the built in GPS in your phone) and then allows you to search for different things in the surrounding area you are in. Whether that be certain restaurants, churches, hospitals, entertainment centers, movie theaters, etc. Then, it links to google maps and gives you turn by turn directions as to how to get to your selected destination. I won't lie, yelp was a very convenient tool that I used on a cross country trip I went on last summer. However, throw out your maps! there's no need to learn a sense of direction anymore!

It is a very brilliant thing to invent a location-based program because it is so personal to the individual using it. They can search their preferences based on where they are. It is convenient, affordable, and easy to use. It's no wonder GPS and location based programs have started to keep all maps piling up with dust on those shelves.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    Great post! Location based programs are so helpful in that aspect. It is so easy to find information on anyplace anywhere nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit that I always use my phone to find addresses and I doubt I could read a map to save my life! It is so helpful! A general sense of direction is however desirable but not required these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last time I looked at a map! It's so nice to have it on a phone. I liked how you explained yelp and how it is really easy to find restaurants or stores. Great job!

    ReplyDelete